Thursday, January 21, 2016

Museum...with Children

On Sunday, I finally grabbed the chance to go back to the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nuremberg. I hadn't been there since before I'd had children... which means, this visit was different.

I'd love to give you an all-encompassing summary of this huge and fascinating museum, filled with historical artefacts and art. But to be truthful, being there with two children translated into speeding through some exhibits, dragging them through others and making sure they didn't kill each other any time in between.

So here are some highlights, willy-nilly, all from completely different collections in the museum.

Martin Behaim's Globe
Created in about 1492, the same time Columbus sailed, it is the oldest globe in existence today. It is more or less round, but North and South America are missing. It was apparently created to encourage investors to fund more travel across the Atlantic. See here for better pictures (click the "i" next to the Globe, description is only in German). 


There were several beautifully crafted chess games, but none of my pictures turned out. So instead, you can see the Naked People Dice (which you find more interesting anyway, right?).

 
Before there was TV, there was a Guckkasten (literally Look-Box). The pictures didn't move, but they were created in layers to have a 3D effect. I can imagine parents telling their kids to quit wasting their time looking into that idiotic Look-Box.


Both children were fascinated by the Prehistoric Burial Sites. We have a lot of pictures of bones (*searches*) ...which I can no longer find. Huh. Instead, I present a treasure equally interesting for the children: the Golden Hat, worn by a bishop in 1100-800 BC. It is really as tall as it looks.

 
One of my favorite things in the prehistoric and early history exhibit was the jewelry. Especially some gold earrings from the 8th century, so beautiful and perfect, I'd happily wear them today (no picture due to the aforementioned children. Grr.)

The museum currently houses a temporary exhibit on historic clothing. I particularly like the Fake Potbelly (Gansbauch) that was so popular, even children's clothes were given them. I kind of wish bellies were "in" now. No photographs were allowed, but you can click the top left of the picture here to enlarge it for an example.

Obligatory Creepy Puppets from the toy collection.


Finally, I'll leave you with a lovely Dragon Chandelier. I obviously need one of these at home.




All pictures taken by me or my children.


No comments:

Post a Comment