Thursday, July 19, 2012

I Love...Part One


I was thinking about how we get caught up in the negative. There are so many examples....

The pushy customer behind me in line at the grocery store who groans as I count my Euro cents. The guy who turns left in front of me when I have the right of way. The project canceled at work after three-quarters of it is complete.

It's just too easy to forget what satisfaction there is in the world.

So, I've decided to do an experiment.

At least twice a month, I'm going to write about something I love. Something that makes me personally happy.

Not necessarily something life-changing. No saints. No philanthropists. No major technological developments.

Just things I love. In no particular order.

It'll probably end up embarrassing....

Anyway, I thought I'd start with...wind.

Yes. Wind.

I love windy days.

I always have. When gusts tangle the hair around my head and tree branches sway back and forth, the energy around us is tangible. Something to be felt with every inch of skin.

Strong winds spark my imagination. Wind is potential. As a kid, being outside and feeling the strong breeze convinced me that there was more to the world than the obvious.

There really were ghosts. And aliens. And superheroes.

A child could be a spy or a detective. A dog might follow me home and be my friend forever. The rock star everyone was swooning over could fall in love with me.

Back to the present. Work has been strenuous this past week with hours-long telephone conferences every day.

Luckily, it's also been windy. As irritating as my 8:00 a.m. appointment might be, if I get to fight the gusts on the way back to the office, my spirits will be lifted.

It's like the wind blows the ability to handle things right into my chest and head. Wind is a rejuvenator. An upper for my soul.

So bring on those 8:30, 9:00, 9:30 and 2:00's tomorrow. The forecast calls for high westerly winds – with envigorating gusts of up to 37 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment