Thursday, September 20, 2018

Reading The Past

On the very last day of my vacation, my aunt dropped by to give me two books she’d found in my grandfather’s house after he passed away.



That grandfather’s line of my ancestors came from Germany and apparently lived in a German-speaking community once they reached America where it was important they continue to learn the language.

One book was published in 1872, the other in 1909. The older book is in pretty bad condition, worn and torn. Both prove that scribbling in textbooks is not a modern behavior. Mary Rothermel traced the pictures in now-faded ink and wrote her name and age (8) in the margins of the older book. Hildegard Paulus signed her name over and over in the 1909 book—and dated it January 5, 1912. I'm not sure, but I don't believe either girl is related to me. It's likely that ma family got the books second hand.

The 1872 book is alled Neue Fibel oder Erstes Lesebuch für die deutschen katholischen Schulen. It is completely in German despite having been printed in the US.
Try to recognize individual letters in the script on the first page :)

By 1909, many of the students must have been stronger at speaking English than German. The 1909 version has two titles—one in English and one in German. It's called German-English Readers for Catholic Schools: Erstes Lesebuch and contains German words and phrases along with English translations.

Some highlights (especially for my German readers).
  • The 1909 book contains "Bemerkungen über die neue deutsche Rechtschriebung" (notes about the reformed German spelling rules).
  • The old font Fraktur.
  • The old handwriting style called Kurrent.

Reformed spelling rules

And sentences to learn reading and writing that illustrate it was a different time:
  • My brother saw the emperor.
  • The quince is yellow and ripe.
  • Good children obey willingly.
  • Clara has a white muff.
  • I bought you a fine horse.


I did a little research, and it turns out the publisher, Benziger Brothers, is still operating today. Founded in Switzerland in 1792, the first American printing house was opened in 1853. It is currently based in Cincinnati, Ohio.



all pictures by me

No comments:

Post a Comment