Monday, September 28, 2015

Flash Fiction - The Scalpel

I've had so much fun with flash fiction contests lately! Agent Janet Reid chose me as one of the nine finalists out of 85 entrants in her contest this weekend. I didn't win*, but she did say some lovely things about my writing (she used the words "gorgeous" and "beautiful!" ...Okay, I'll stop dancing now.)

Entrants had to write a complete story of 100 words or less using these words:
six
crow
spy
secret
weapon

Here's mine...

The Scalpel

image by Andrew Eason via Flickr
For a spy, secrets can mean the difference between life and death. Of an informant. Of a partner. And betrayal is a weapon to be wielded like a scalpel, not a crowbar.

Six lights blink on my screen--six men track me through this rundown Latvian town. One used to be my Matthew, before he wielded the crowbar and became her Matthew.

They think he's one of them.

He thinks I'm still his.

I think...I'm all out of forgiveness.

From a burner phone, I text: Matthew Bennett = MI6.

One light winks out of existence. Like I said. A scalpel.



I hope you enjoyed reading my story as much as I enjoyed writing it!

*I highly suggest you check out the winner. Click the "nine finalists" link above. You'll never think of Winnie the Pooh the same again. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment