Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Writer's Voice Entry – BENEATH OUR SKIN – YA Science Fiction

I'm participating in a contest called The Writer's Voice. I post my query and the first 250 words of my manuscript, and if one of the coaches likes it, I advance to the agent round. Click here for details on the contest.

Thanks so much to Brenda, Monica, Elizabeth and Krista for organizing The Writer's Voice!

Query

Dear Amazing Agents,

I hope you'll be interested in my YA science fiction novel, in which a girl cannot let go of her friend's hand or she'll die.

The walls surrounding the town of Jenn's Ferry keep out the genetically engineered, flesh-eating monsters known as Fecs. Those same walls lock in seventeen-year-old Echo, so she's thrilled to go on a rare field trip outside the town. But when Echo's old crush Gavin scratches himself on the splintered rib of a Fec corpse, a virus within the Fec blood sparks a mutation in his body. According to the old stories, constant skin contact slows the transformation from human to Fec. Before Gavin can turn completely and sink his teeth into her, she grabs hold of his wrist. Echo's plan: bring him to town and the sheriff will send them by coach to the last doctor with a cure.

Only it turns out the townspeople don't believe the old stories anymore. Assuming Gavin is a threat, they refuse to transport him to the physician and won't allow him within the protection of the city walls. The sheriff figures Echo's skin contact with Gavin must mean she's infected, so the town gate remains closed to her, too. In a last ditch effort to save them both, Echo leads Gavin on a two-week trek to Raven Rock, the one town that has the medicine he needs.

Every day is filled with one-handed scrounging for food and evading traps set by the Fecs. Echo hopes if she doesn't let go, Gavin will make it. Except it only takes a few days before scales start growing up his arm, and his hunger for fresh prey mounts. Then he tells Echo she's beginning to smell good.

BENEATH OUR SKIN is a YA science fiction novel in which the journey through the wilderness of Veronica Rossi's Under the Never Sky meets the medical research of Dan Wells' Partials, but with monsters instead of modern technology. It's the story of a girl's struggle between ridding her 1850s-like world of dangerous creatures and accepting them as a thinking, feeling species. BENEATH OUR SKIN has a diverse cast, stands alone and is complete at 79K words.

I grew up in Michigan and now live with my husband and children in Germany. By day, I work as a project manager, and I'm an active member of SCBWI.

Thank you for your consideration.



First 250 words

My rope arced through the moonlit night and slid down the wooden fence to land at my feet. Again. Damn.

Panting echoed from the empty yard beyond the eight-foot fence—the blacksmith's dog must've heard me. I coiled the rope and tossed it a third time. It caught the top of the post. Yes! I yanked it, testing the strength, then braced my feet against the slats and scrambled up.

At the top, the points of the boards dug into my torso as I twisted the rope around so it would fall into the yard and provide an escape route. The big black mutt gazed up at me, sniffing for the treat I'd brought him. Or smelling me. By now, we were old friends. He hadn't barked at me in weeks.

When I dropped down, he whined softly, and I pulled my ration of meat for this week out of my pocket. My mouth watered, but I tossed it to the dog. A small price for a glimpse of freedom. The two chicken pieces disappeared in seconds.

Despite the fence, the shop was always locked at night, but there was a workstation set up outside. Sometimes, nails fell down, and the blacksmith was too lazy to go after them right away. I fell to my knees, inching past the sawhorses toward the lean-to, sifting through the sand with my fingers as I crawled. Under the water-filled trough, I grasped cool metal and snatched it up.

One. Only five more nails to go.




27 comments:

  1. She's starting to smell good. LOL. Sounds like a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck in the competition, Laura! Catch you over on Twitter later. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    I like your use of deeper POV. Good luck in the contest.

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura, congrats on making it into the contest! I really like your premise and your comps! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura! I really like this. Sounds like something I would definitely read. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your writing style and the premise. Awesome query and 250. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laura. Your first 250 are interesting...they got me hooked. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Laura! This is great. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much to everyone who has commented! I really appreciate it, and I wish everyone the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so good! Would love to read it someday. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really different. I'd definitely read this. Good query and 250. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember this story of yours from before, and I remember I really liked it back then too. Fingers crossed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like an interesting adventure! Best of luck in the contest!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful query and first 250! You've definitely got me hooked! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like an edgy and fun adventure. I'm rooting for you, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crazy awesome premise. I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've loved this premise since I read your Twitter pitch. Your first page gives a great feel of your main character. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Super Original premise! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing premise-- this one will stay in my head for a while! The writing in the first 250 is great as well; I love your descriptions and the suspense you create.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very well done! I saw some of your earlier versions on various blog hops, you've improved it so much. I still love the line about her starting to smell good to him. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think this gives a new twist to the zombie genre concept. I can't even imagine trying to do things one-handed/armed all the time. What a great way to reveal something critical about the MC right away. She is not willing that any should perish or turn into a monster. Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woaaah, fantastic premise and what a hook to end your query on!! I don't even have any critiques to give on the query -- it's tight, driving, and very intriguing. You won't have a problem getting snapped up :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This has an intriguing premise, and the beginning is amazing, fluid prose. Good luck!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Laura. Just wanted to let you know that BENEATH OUR SKIN was one of the entries I seriously considered adding to my team. The first part of the query reminded me of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, but then it took a turn for the unique when you got to the part about the hand-holding. Such an interesting idea. I love the thought of watching Echo and Gavin make their way through the woods without being able to let go of each other's hands (and with the constant threat of Gavin turning into a zombie hanging over their heads).

    If you'd like some additional feedback on your query and first page, feel free to e-mail them to kvandolzer(at)gmail(dot)com. I won't be able to take a look until I get my teammates' entries squared away (which will probably take a few weeks), but I'd be happy to share a few more thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! This was one of the ones I seriously considered too. Your writing is great and I loved the premise. But I have to be honest, I don't think this will get an agent or sell the way it is, which is why I didn't pick it. This book has 2 things that are "over" right now: a dystopian/post-apocalyptic setting, and zombies. You can try to argue that it's sci-fi, but right now agents don't want anything even remotely feeling dystopian (as someone who tried to sell two different YA sci-fi books for 2+ years I know this all too well). Zombies are also a really tough sell these days. Your comp titles are not helping either, since those are very much dystopian and out of favor right now.

    But I really do think your setting, premise, voice, and writing have a lot of promise, so here's my crazy suggestion that I hope you will strongly consider: make this historical fantasy. You already have an 1800s western world, why not make it actually historical with some fantasy elements going on? Or make it an 1800s inspired fantasy world? Then you could make the zombies something else...maybe cursed people, monsters, whatever. That way the meat of your story (characters, setting, emotional journey, conflict, etc) would remain the same, but it would be packaged in a much more commercial - and unique - way. If you do that, I suspect you will get a LOT of interest. But I know this is a big change so just think about it and see if it works for you!

    ReplyDelete