Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Ring...A Puzzle



My mom died three years ago. Of all the items I took from her house while cleaning it out, none is more intriguing than this ring.



I've taken it to a jeweler who assures me the diamonds are real. And there are seven of them. So that's the first mystery. My mother was a stay-at-home mom for years. Later, she worked as a not-high-paid secretary.  While she always loved her jewelry, she was the first to admit cubic zirconia was her friend. Real diamonds? And this many? Hmm.

Second mystery. When I originally retrieved the ring, it was huge, with a cheap ring re-sizer wedged into it. My mom had pretty narrow fingers, even later when she had gained weight. She could have worn the ring with the re-sizer in it, but never in its original size. That means she got it from somewhere else.

Third mystery. The ring is old. The gold on the sides is rubbed smooth as if it was worn a lifetime. The stones were loose in their settings. My aunts and uncles have confirmed it didn't belong to their mother or even their aunts. It has all the signs of an inherited ring, but it wasn't from anyone in our family.

I'm actually not a big jewelry person, but I had a jeweler size the ring down and reset the stones. I wear it occasionally to remind myself that as much as you believe you know and understand a person, they can have their secrets. I think it's kind of cool that my mom has this one.

How about you? Have you ever found out surprising things about someone you cared for when you could no longer ask them? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment