Friday, March 15, 2013

I Love...Bad Boys (and Good Boys!)



At YA Misfits, Erica M. Chapman blogged about the choice between Damon or Stefan from Vampire Diaries. If you're not a fan, Stefan is the caring, trustworthy one.  Damon is witty, tortured and seriously dangerous.

So how do you choose between such different men?  

Checking out YA Misfits again to concentrate on the question. So easy to get hypnotized by the pretty pictures....

snapping out of it!

If I'm going to analyze the question, I have to separate between real life and fantasy.

In terms of TV and books, I have to go with the bad guy.  Why?  

Because he's way more interesting.   

You can't trust the bad boy.  You never know what's going to happen next. He could help you, but he has his own agenda. Uncertainty can be captivating.

Also, if your bad boy is the love interest, he'll have to end up doing a lot of changing, growing in the course of the story. He needs to prove to his ladylove that he's worthy of her after all. He has to come to terms with his demons and learn to put her first. That journey can be fascinating to watch.

Real life is a different animal.  For me, in real life, the good guy wins hands down.  My guy has to be someone who'll tow the load with me.  Who'll share. Who'll support me when I need it—and not unexpectedly, like a bad boy might. 

I have to be able to count on my man. With rock solid certainty. No questions asked.

So when I watch Vampire Diaries, I'm Team Damon. All the rest of the time, I'm Team Hubby. Because he's one of the good boys.  The really good ones.

How about you? What's your preference?

1 comment:

  1. This is great!! It's funny. I have a good boy too, but I waver. I'm pretty much Team Stefan all the time, but Damon does sneak in there. You're right though, the bad boys are WAY more interesting...

    Sorry I missed this!

    ReplyDelete