Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I Love...Vampire Stories

Go ahead and laugh. Get it out of your system.

Believe me, I feel extremely unspecial knowing I'm one of the millions on the planet who feel that way. There's just something so sensual about...the neck...and the teeth...and never mind. (Here's me, cringing, because my Dad reads these posts.)

The most interesting vamp out there is – hands down – Eric Northman. I already liked him in Charlaine Harris' books. But Alexander Skarsgard brought a certain something to the role. When he gets that intense look on his face...triple – no – quadruple yum.

It's enough to make a very happily married woman sigh.

The other night, I was dreaming of Mr. Northman and my five-year-old woke me. Can you imagine my fury? No one noticed. Okay, maybe my "are you okay" was a little on the chilly side. But otherwise, I kept myself under control.

Back when one of those end of the world prophets had set the latest deadline, I asked a colleague what she would do if the world really was ending.

No "spend time with my mother." No "eat a million calorie dessert". No. She said she'd let Mr. Northman bite her. Amen, sister.

Okay, and after that, we'd cherish our remaining anemic moments with our families.

So I love reading vampire stories, and I love writing. But despite the aliens, demons and zombies in my head, I've never had the urge to write about a vampire. Why is that?

Because it's been done so often? Because it's already been done so well? 

So for those authors out there who are good at it, keep them coming. I can't wait to read the next yummy vampire story.

1 comment:

  1. Yowza! Hubby just sneaked up and scratched my neck! Guess what he just read....

    ReplyDelete